Thursday 31 January 2019

17.2.12 Wisdom and Knowledge Series, post #17. Buddhism, post #13: My view of anatta. By samsarictravelling/Ai (Dinh) Le.

Wisdom and Knowledge Series, post #17. Buddhism, post #13 (17.2.12):

I posted the below post at Dhamma Wheel message board ( https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33509 ):

I guess what I write below is my view of what anatta means basically to me. I say "guess" because I am not pondering how much truth in what I write "spontaneously" as what I actually believe -- it actually may be what I might really believe, but cannot truthfully say for sure:

If you go to my http://facebook.com/aidinhle , you will see Thanissaro Bhikkhu has the middle prominent position in my banner.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu has helped me gain a self-powered life through his translation of the Majjhima Nikaya 61 ( https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.061.than.html ), and his discriminating (analytical) teachings helped me, too, so I am paying my gratitude to him in putting his image in my banner. Thanissaro Bhikkhu, though, I do not follow.

My name samsarictravelling, I will now explain what it means.

If I called myself samsarictraveller, it would sound better, but does not convey the idea there is no self.

In the Visuddhimagga, it is said something like this:

Suffering, but no sufferer.
Actions, but no doer.
Nibbana, but no one who enters it.
The path, but no one on it is seen.

So, likewise: no traveller, just travelling.

I do not believe in an unchanging soul (atman), like the Hindus believe.

All dhammas -- dhammas encompasses all the conditioned (samsara) and the only one Unconditioned thing: nibbana -- are anatta;not-self;without a soul/Soul.

samsarictravelling/Ai (Dinh) Le

No comments:

Post a Comment